Why We Only Build Aluminum Pergolas At Legacy Decks
Looking for an outdoor structure to add beauty and functionality to your backyard? In that case, you may have considered a pergola. Whether hosting a small get-together or relaxing on your own, pergolas create a welcoming atmosphere that enhances any outdoor space.
At Legacy Decks, we only build aluminum pergolas because they are superior to other materials in terms of quality, durability, and cost-effectiveness. In this blog post, we’ll discuss the benefits of aluminum pergolas and why you should choose one for your home.
The Types Of Materials That Can Be Used To Build A Pergola
A few different types of materials can be used to build a pergola, including wood, vinyl, composite, and aluminum. Each material has its own set of benefits and drawbacks.
Here’s a quick overview of each:
- Wood is the most common type of pergola material. It’s affordable but isn’t as durable as other materials. It is vulnerable to water damage, which can cause it to rot and warp. Likewise, it isn’t as resistant to pests and weather damage as the other options.
- Vinyl (PVC) is a synthetic material that doesn’t require the same level of maintenance as wood. It’s easy to clean and is resistant to rot. Although the durability of vinyl is outstanding, it is not as sturdy as aluminum. Snow and heavy winds can cause vinyl pergolas to warp and deform.
- Composite is a mix of wood and PVC. It offers the look of wood but is more durable and requires less maintenance. Compared to 100% PVC, composite is a bit more structurally sturdy. However, it is still primarily made of PVC and shares the same drawbacks, including warping.
- Aluminum is both sturdy and long-lasting, precisely what you want in a pergola. It won’t bend or warp, even in extreme weather conditions. It’s also low-maintenance, meaning you won’t have to worry about repainting or restaining it.
How Aluminum Pergolas Measure Up Against Other Materials
Now that we’ve discussed the different materials used to build a pergola let’s compare aluminum to the other options.
Wood Vs. Aluminum Pergolas
Let’s start with wood, the most common type of pergola material.
A wood pergola is a tempting option because it’s cheaper. However, it’s essential to keep in mind that wood is not as durable as aluminum.
Unlike the thick posts and beams of wood that support a deck, the framing components of a pergola are much thinner. Unfortunately, this makes them more susceptible to damage and far less durable.
At first, a wood pergola will look great. But after a few years, it will start to show its age. The paint will fade and chip, the wood will soften and warp, and you’ll have to repaint or restain it frequently to keep it looking good.
Inevitably, the overall appearance will become lackluster despite your best efforts. And a repair or a replacement will be necessary sooner than you’d like. Safety could also become an issue if you fail to make repairs on time.
On the other hand, an aluminum pergola will last for decades with little to no maintenance required. It won’t warp or rot, and its structure will continue to hold up and look great year after year. All of this without having to worry about repainting or restaining.
An aluminum pergola is a clear winner. It’s safer, more durable, more cost-effective, and doesn’t give you any headaches in the long run.
Sure, wood is the more affordable option upfront. But when you factor in the increased costs of maintenance and repairs, aluminum is the better investment. The whole point of improving your outdoor living space is to relax and enjoy your time off. Unfortunately, a wood pergola will eventually become a source of stress rather than a place of relaxation.
Vinyl Vs. Aluminum Pergolas
So, let’s look at vinyl now that we got wood out of the way.
Vinyl (PVC) is a synthetic material that doesn’t require the same level of maintenance as wood. It would seem that vinyl would be the perfect material for a pergola because it is resistant to water damage and lasts for a very long time. However, there are some drawbacks.
The main issue with vinyl? It isn’t as strong/sturdy as aluminum.
Hail, heavy winds, and snow can cause vinyl to warp and deform. After a few years of harsh weather conditions and strong winds, you might notice that your once beautiful pergola has started to look a bit cheap. The posts might start to lean, and the roof might start to sag.
It’s true that a vinyl pergola will last longer than one made of wood, requiring less maintenance. But it’s not as sturdy as it needs to be, and it can’t withstand harsh weather conditions as well as aluminum.
Aluminum can support heavy loads without sagging or warping, making it ideal for pergolas.
Vinyl Vs. Composite Pergolas
So, what about composite?
Composite material is made of a mix of wood and PVC. However, it is still composed of 90%+ PVC, so it shares all the same drawbacks as pure PVC.
In other words, composite will still warp under heavy loads or harsh weather conditions.
The Various Benefits Of Aluminum Pergolas
So, what are the benefits of aluminum pergolas?
- Durable And Long-Lasting: Aluminum is resistant to insects, weather damage, and rot. It will not warp, crack, or splinter like wood can. Your pergola will last for decades without succumbing to the elements.
- Low Maintenance: Aluminum is a very low-maintenance material. It will never need to be sanded, stained, or painted. Simple soap-and-water cleaning is all that is required to keep your pergola looking fantastic.
- Sturdy And Structurally Sound: Aluminum can support more weight and withstand strong winds, hail, and snowfall. It will not sag or bow over time. You can always be confident that your pergola is safe and structurally sound.
- Safer: Due to its extreme resilience, aluminum is a safer choice. If severe weather strikes, you can be sure that your pergola will not collapse. It is non-flammable, so you do not have to worry about catching fire like wood. It also will not splinter or shatter if, for example, it is struck by a large hailstone.
- Peace of mind: An aluminum pergola will give you peace of mind. You can relax and enjoy your time off without worrying about maintaining or repairing your pergola.
- Attractive And Modern: Aluminum pergolas have a sleek, modern look that will enhance the beauty of your outdoor space. They will maintain their beauty year after year.
Why You Should Choose An Aluminum Pergola For Your Home
As you can see, there are many good reasons to choose an aluminum pergola for your home. It is a durable, long-lasting, and low-maintenance option that will give you years of enjoyment. It is also safer than other materials and looks great.
When it comes to choosing a pergola material, think about the lifestyle you want to create. You want a beautiful outdoor space that is easy to care for and will last for decades. Aluminum is the best option for achieving that goal.
We want the families we work with to be able to enjoy their time off without having to worry about the maintenance of their outdoor space. That’s why we only build aluminum pergolas at Legacy Decks. It’s the best material on the market for pergolas, and we want our clients to have the best of the best.
Ready To Create The Outdoor Living Space Of Your Dreams?
If your Greenville home needs a new deck, we would love to help you create the outdoor living space of your dreams. We specialize in building custom decks, pergolas, and outdoor spaces that are beautiful and made to last.
To get started, request an estimate here. Then, our team would love to discuss your vision for your perfect outdoor space.
We look forward to hearing from you!